Thursday, August 17, 2006

5 Minutes of Google Spreadsheets

Today I noticed a Google Spreadsheets link in my gmail screen. I had read about it but never bothered to try before. In the finance industry, a lot of traders use excel, so I was wondering if Google spreadsheets could be another fit.

Unfortunately for Google, under Linux at least, I don't find Google Spreadsheets usable for anything else than storing and sharing some information, not often updated. Although I admire the engineers that managed to write the Javascript behind Google Spreasheet, it is way too slow for using it in interesting ways. Editing is slow, copy/paste is slow, sorting is slow.

I then wondered if it could read my contacts CSV from GMail (you can export contacts to a CSV file in Gmail). It could be a better interface to edit contacts. But strangely, importing Gmail CSV in Google Spreadsheets does not work.

I don't think I'll use it another 5 more minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment